The Valley View High School Choral Program consists of currently 3 choral groups: Concert Choir (beginning to intermediate level), Women's Chamber Ensemble (beginning, intermediate, advanced levels) and Madrigal Choir (intermediate to advanced levels). In past years, we have also offered Show Choir and a voluntary Gospel Choir.
Based on the level of each group, the appropriate level of music literature is selected from various periods in musical history (both sacred and secular). The students learn the necessary techniques for rehearsal, performance, theory, and the history of the music they are performing. Each class level is exposed to various foreign languages in performance with thorough discussion and understanding of meaning and interpretation of each piece given. Each class will develop various skills throughout the year, such as:
- ♫ Fundamentals of music appreciation through studying many different styles and periods of music.
- ♫ Develop solid fundamentals of vocal techniques (breath control, tonal quality, articulation, shaping voices, and mouth position).
- ♫ The study of music theory and proper notation.
- ♫ Proper technique and interpretation of various styles of music (ie, pop, contemporary, sacred/secular) using different languages.
Develop their personalities through:
- Physical enjoyment
- Social interaction
- Leadership training
- Personal gains through collaborative learning and independent achievements. Since our previous WASC visit, the program has continued to thrive throughout our Moreno Valley community by continuing various traditions, such as:
- Performing at our district office numerous times a year for various occasions.
- Performing at local churches and community centers.
- Hosting multiple concerts in our little theater.
- Hosting annual charity concerts (ie our Christmas Concerts for the “Spark of Love” toy drive for/through our local Fire Departments). And performing for holiday gatherings to help feed and support our local homeless/needy population.
- ★ We have received numerous recognitions by multiple city groups and our school board. The VVHS Choral Program has also competed in over 100 Music in the Parks competitions, over 60+ Southern California Vocal Association festivals and 15 Northern Arizona University Madrigal/Jazz Festivals (with 100+ choirs participating each year).
- ★ Our magical choir has received a 1st place Superior rating in the last 3 out of 4 outings of Music in the Parks Choral Magic Festival.
Overall, the entire choral program has amassed a countless number of “Superior” and “Excellent” ratings in all festivals entered in California and abroad. We have been chosen to represent our district and county in San Diego at the ALL STATE Superintendents Conference singing for over 3,000+ occupants. The Madrigal Choir has been offered to perform multiple times at Carnegie Hall in New York, Spain, France, Ireland, Austria, Africa, and Cuba! This program is a major star among the Valley View Milky Way, and should be noticed as such!